My last project was a manuscript of poems entitled “Litanies and Reiterations.” It is complete, and I read from it on occasion at readings. For now, that’s enough. I’ll submit it for publication, using my new submission tracking tool, but I don’t have any expectations. This brings me to my next project: creating my own book.
I got the idea at a recent reading when someone came up to me afterwards and asked me if they could have a chapbook of my work. I was flattered, but no, I said, no I don’t have one. Well, the person said, you should, so I decided…
I’m going to make a book. Here are some notes:
- This will be a square book
- It might include collages. I made the collages, anyway.
- Inspired by famous collaborations of the past, I’m collaborating with a few friends to make it
- I’m being particular about layout
- I’ve collected some interesting examples of chapbook design
- The book entitled “Chapbook on the Making of a Chapbook” is useful.
- I’m inspired by the motivations behind Some of Us Press
- The title is currently “Portraits and Landscapes”
- By “portraits” I think I mean Gertrude Stein’s sense of “portrait”
- By “landscapes” I think I mean Kerouac’s sense of place, as depicted on occasion in his “Book of Sketches”
- The book will probably be produced in limited edition(s)
- The book will probably also appear online in some way
- I hope to have the book ready, or at least some prototypes to share, in time for a reading I’m doing in Knoxville, TN on August 21